7.2.09

Bacon & Egg Scramble - Feb 07, 2009

I love to sleep in on the weekends. Often, the morning is absolutely gone! That was the case today... After a brief wake-up at 8am, I went back to sleep, and then woke up at... *drum roll*... 1pm!

Went I went to bed last night, after our weekly splurge (this week's splurge was on what hubby and I like to call the "Giant Sandwich"), I was FULL. I planned on having another little snack after that, but I didn't have any room left, all evening.

However, this morning (yes, yes, I know... afternoon) I woke up with a hungry tummy, and I thought...

We have back bacon (canadian bacon, to all you americans) in the fridge!

So may I present, the:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian Bacon & Cheese Omelette

100 grams back bacon, sliced into small strips
1/2 cup diced onion (or M&M meats pre-cut onion)
1/2 red pepper, sliced into strips
250 ml Egg Substitute (I used Naturegg Break-Free Omega-3)
2 Slices Cracker Barrel Pre-sliced Medium Cheddar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in the sliced back bacon, and saute until hot through. (My favorite way to test this is, of course, to eat a piece. Does it taste done? Perfect!) Add in the onions, and saute until slightly translucent. Add in red pepper, and saute until tender-crisp.

Pour the egg substitute over the bacon mixture, and add salt & pepper to taste. I would recommend using more pepper than salt, as the bacon will be salty.

Cook, stirring frequently, until the egg is partially cooked. Break up the cheese slices, and add to the pan, stirring them to combine.

Keep cooking and stirring until the egg substitute is cooked and the cheese is completely melted in.

Serves 2 (for what I calculated to be 7 points each.)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yummmmy! One thing I noticed is that the back bacon cooks out way less fat than regular bacon, which was nice to see.

I really enjoy eggs for breakfast, and bacon, well... I agree with Jeffrey Steingarten that Bacon is the best food in the world (with chocolate coming second). The onion and red pepper add a nice texture, and I love the flavor of bell pepper with something salty.

I served this with a couple of slices of canadian grain bread, with nutella. Nutella is the food of the Gods, and there can be nothing better on a Saturday morning (ok, ok... afternoon). I find that when I top toast with delicious things like nutella, or delicious jam, I don't miss the butter NEARLY so much.

(Oh butter, my love... How I've longed for thee these long weeks... But I've found a new love! So I'll put you in banana bread later and have a secret affair.)

Speaking of, as I've saved some overripe bananas in the freezer, today seems like a nice day for to make that. That gives me something to review later! Stay Tuned!

Chantel's Review:
Ease of Preparation: 4/5
Appearance: 3/5
Taste: 18/5 (Come on! Bacon!)

Hubby's Review: 3.5/5 (You could only really taste the bacon, but the bacon was delicious.)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey there.. I saw your post on WW, so I thought I'd stop by for a visit.

I look forward to reading more!