18.2.09

Spaghetti Squish with Sauce - Feb. 18, 2009



Tonight, I decided that I wanted to try spaghetti Squash. I remember having it when I was a kid, and I've always been enchanted by the way it shreds off into those pasta-like strands. (Yes, that's right. I'm enchanted by squash. It's pretty easy to enchant me.)

So here is the recipe for Chantel's Spaghetti Squish with Sauce!


-------------------------------------------------------------

4 tsp Olive Oil
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium stalks celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 cup fat free beef stock
1 large can plain tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

1 med. Spaghetti Squash

Heat a large pan over medium heat, and heat oil in it. Saute onions until translucent. Add mushrooms, carrot and celery, garlic, salt and pepper, and saute until tender. Remove to a bowl.

Add beef to pan, break up, and saute until all browned and cooked through. Add the vegetables back in, and then add in the beef stock, tomato sauce, and herbs. Turn the heat to low (boy does tomato sauce splatter...), and simmer the sauce.

Cut the squash in half, and scoop out the seeds and guts. Sprinkle the halves with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Take the squash halves and a couple of forks, and shred the squash into strands. Add the squash to the sauce, stir in, and serve.

Serves 4
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I had this with parmesan cheese and (shhhhh...) white bread. It was absolutely delicious. At least, in my opinion. My husband is a cream sauce kind of guy, so for him, tomato sauce is always a let down. However, there are lots of things I cook because he likes them; tomato sauce is something I do for ME!

I'm not going to rate this, because really, I just threw things together. I love cooking like that...

Also, cooking a vegetable laden dish gave me the chance to satisfy my craving for white bread... I've just eaten so much whole grain lately that I absolutely needed some white, soft, fluffy bread.

The wonderful thing about making a lot of good eating choices is that I don't have to feel any guilt about what I eat anymore... That makes everything taste to much better!

No comments: