10.5.09

Cooking is such a pleasurable experience... - May 10, 2009

And not just because of the eating portion!

Today was Mother's Day, as most of you know, and so one of the things I did as a gift for my mother was, after my brother and I took my parents for supper, I invited them back to my place, and served everyone cheesecake.

And of course, I wasn't going to serve my Mom just ANY old cheesecake... I made one of my favorite cheesecakes, from the Kraft Canada Website...

Orange-Honey Cheesecake!

I subbed light cream cheese for the regular cream cheese, but otherwise, I pretty much followed it to the letter. It's a really beautiful cheesecake, soft and rich, not too sweet, with a wonderful flavor from the honey and the orange.

I love ALL parts of making a cheesecake...

I love pouring the melted butter into the graham cracker crumbs, and then pressing the crust into the pan, making sure that the entire bottom is covered.

I love the feeling of the crumbs beneath my fingertips...

I love mixing the cream cheese with the sugar, and watching the consistency change completely... It's amazing that the addition of one ingredient changes the stiff cream cheese to a lazy goo...

I love adding the eggs, one at a time. I always add the egg un-beaten, so that I can watch the yolk slide around with the motion of the beaters, and then break, creating sunshine orange swirls that get finer and finer as the incorporate...

I love pouring the batter into the pan, the thick creamy mass sliding onto the crust... Scraping the bowl to get NEARLY every bit of batter into the pan... Shaking the pan to make sure that it's even...

I love the smell of the baking cheesecake, sweet, a little citrus...

The eating of cheesecake is a dreamily delicious experience, but I adore the CREATION of the food as much as I enjoy the demolition of the food!

No comments: