24.6.09

Yet another step towards a healthier lifestyle ~June 24th, 2009

http://www.thefoodflunky.com/

It's amazing to think of all the steps that I've taken already to steer myself into an overall healthy lifestyle... Therapy, talking to my doctor about possible health issues, cutting out a lot of refined sugar, starting WW, starting doing exercising, cutting our cable tv... So far, I've been working towards health for about a year and a half, and I've really been trying to make one change at a time, and work it into my healthy habits.

And now, I'm going to work on incorporating a new one:

Whole foods.

I'm doing a bit of a challenge on the WW GDT board, a one week challenge to eat whole foods. Chris and I are really excited about it, but at the same time, we know that it will be really challenging and a really good exercise for our imaginations. It's amazing to think of all the foods that I take for granted, that I won't be eating any more of, at least for a week:

-Nutella
-Ketchup
-No-sugar added chocolate pudding cups
-Miracle Whip
-Deli meat
-M&M Meats frozen chicken breasts
-Chips
-Diet Pop
-Pita Bread
-Store-bought pasta

And, of course, the list goes on and on... Those are foods I eat really frequently, some on a daily basis! I'm astounded when I think of all the pre-packaged, pre-prepared, preserved foods I eat so frequently!

We're both hoping that this week works out well, because both Chris and I are really excited to make this next step in our lives. We'd love to (compassionately, and with wiggle room) transition into mostly whole-foods eating, baking bread and canning fruits and veggies, making our own mayo and jam, learning to make pasta, etc. We know that we don't want to be incredibly strict, because we know that we still need to live our lives, and we know that we'd like to still eat smores while we're camping, but it's something we've been playing around with for a while, and this challenge is really giving us the opportunity to dive in!

The other thing this means is no more "Fat-free", "Low-Cal", "Franken-sugar", "Suspicious number of ingredients" convenience and diet foods. This may mean that I'll need to adjust how I use my points, because I won't always have the low-points options that I had.

I'll need to use REAL substitutes for the Not-So-Real food I've been eating!

I'm hoping to document this first week really well, both in blog-form and in pictures, because I feel like this is the beginning of a big step in my phyical health.

So, what do you guys think I'm going to have the hardest time living without, hmm?

7 comments:

delle said...

Gosh...for me it would be a toss-up between the ketchup and the whole wheat pita, I have them every day; the pita for my supper pizza and some ketchup on my steamed veggies...I know, I'm awful but I'm addicted!

The rest of the foods I eat everyday probably constitute whole foods however, so I try not to fret.

I'm very interested in hearing how it goes, please do keep us updated, and good luck! :)

Me said...

Are there additives in the M&M chicken breasts?

Chantel said...

The M&M meats chicken breasts are called 'seasoned' because they're brined in a saltwater solution to keep them more tender.

Me said...

oooohhhh...thanks for the heads up!

Visichy said...

This has been something I've been slowly doing with my husband for the last 6 months. I now bake all my own bread although I haven't tackled homemade pasta yet. I use all fresh vegetables with the exception of canned tomatoes. I never eat ketchup so that was easy to give up but I struggle daily with giving up diet soda. I guess the challenges are unique to each person. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do awesome :)

Tamara said...

For me it would be the bread hands down. Great approach though. The sugar substitutes adn frankenfoods are a no brainer. They're just plain scary. You'll start to notice way more how naturally sweet things are. I just noticed that my coffee is too sweet. AFter a month of eating well and natural sugars etc. I don't even want all that sugar in my coffee. I've cut it back to 1/2 and it tastes great.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

When you start going to more whole foods, you won't need to be so careful of points. When you get away from the salt and sugar (or artificial versions) you naturally crave less.