7.8.09

Cookies = WW Friendly?!

Wait, what? How could a COOKIE be a weight watchers friendly item?!

Especially.....

A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE?!

That's right, folks... Tonight, I baked cookies. And then I 'recipe-builder'-ed them out, and it worked out to ONE POINT FOR ONE COOKIE!! (Or, in the case of how I might have eaten them last night, 7 points for 5 cookies. That is NOT bad, folks!!)

So many people believe that homemade cakes, cookies, etc, when made with a normal recipe, are horrible points suckers... They have several cups of flour, and *GASP* real, undiluted, fatty-fat-fat BUTTER!!!!

But, and this is especially true for cookies, it's all about portion control! When you make a batch of cookies, you make a LOT of cookies for that bit of butter, so the points, calories, fat, are split up into much smaller amounts than you think.

So here is my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies, which I used last night. I'll note where I made a couple of healthy changes, which still made for DELICIOUS cookies!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (original recipe called for 1 cup, but suggested underneath that you could cut down the butter. I tried it, and still had wonderful cookies!)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/8 cup whole-wheat flour (the recipe called for 2 1/4 cups white flour, but I find that subbing 1/2 whole wheat flour makes pretty much NO difference to the taste, and actually adds a nice little bit of texture.)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (the recipe called for a full, 2-cup bag. I found that even halving the amount of chocolate chips, we ended up with lovely, chocolatey cookies. Also, the recipe called for 1 cup of walnuts, which I find totally un-necessary.)

1. Pre-heat oven to 375. Prepare baking sheets. (I like to line them with parchment paper, which saves on the dishes)

2. Cream butter and sugars until smooth.

3. Beat in egg and vanilla until all incorporated.

4. Sift in baking soda, salt, and flour, and mix on low until incorperated.

5. Fold in chocolate chips.

6. Drop by the tablespoon onto a prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

7. Bake for 8-10 minutes. (I actually found I was baking them for about 12 minutes, but I had my oven set to 350, because I use dark cookie sheets.)

8. Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack.

9. Enjoy with a glass of milk!

I made about 68 cookies with this recipe, but could have gotten 70 had it not been for some... erm... dough sneaking on mine and my husband's part...

No comments: