21.12.09

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

And by 'most wonderful time of the year', I of course mean...

Christmas Cookie Baking Season!!

What other time of the year do you have liberty to bake with wild abandon, spending days mixing and rolling and baking and decorating and, of course...

Eating cookies? :-D

I started off this year's baking with something not really baked, but truly wonderful...

Pistachio-Cranberry Chocolate Bark!

Take a bunch of pistachios, basically as many as you feel like shelling, and try to rub most of the extra paper/husk stuff off them. Melt one large gold-wrapped Lindt dark chocolate bar, and one lindt milk-chocolate bar together in the microwave (in a bowl, preferably), going 30 seconds at a time and stirring after each interval, so as not to burn the chocolate. To the chocolate, add the pistachios and a small bag of craisins. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill in the fridge until set, and then break it up into bite sized pieces (the size of which will depend on the size of your mouth, of course!). Store in the fridge, in an air-tight container.



Next were candy-cane cookies, taken from a magazine I happened to have bought. The original recipe called for the red stripe to be cinnamon, with, well, cinnamon, and broken up red-hots. I changed that to peppermint, using peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. My wonderful DH did the honours of the twisting and baking, as I was out spending time with TundraMunkie, who is totally awesome!

Finally, so far, thumbprint cookies!

There is something intensely charming about thumbprint cookies. I guess that start with their simplicity - so few ingredients. It takes hardly any time to turn out a batch... Next, I guess, is how much fun it is to roll them, and dredge them. And then, of course, making the thumbprints... It has to be your thumb... I've tried other fingers, and it just isn't the same!

My mom has made similar cookies for Christmas, but they're called 'Swedish tea rings'... I'm assuming because they call for icing in the thumbprint, and not jam. My personal favorite is raspberry jam...

Coming up next, shortbread. I looked all over town for a cookie press, and apparently I'm not the only one who had that idea, as they were all sold out. I guess I was just the SLOWEST one with that idea!

I'm going to try a rectangular pan, making shortbread fingers...

Here's to hoping they turn out!

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Nice recipes. I might try that pistachio bark. Soooo jealous of your time with Tundra. I love that girl.

The Incredible Shrinking Tushie said...

i have a cookie press if you want to borrow it

Abbey Shaw said...

I think you should just come here.
Love me.

Chantel said...

I'm not much for borrowing, my dear... I'm bad at the 'returning' portion of it.

I'll just buy one in the new year :)

Tamara - Munkie roxor. She's soooo fabulous!!

Abbey, my husband might take issue to me leaving at Christmas time :-S