19.4.10

Mental health is hard work.

Just like physical health, keeping yourself in psychological fitness is challenging for some people... And I am definitely one of those people.

Recently, an incident occured at work which has caused me a great deal of distress. Crying, panic attack... The whole shebang. I ended up needing to go home early on Thursday, and nearly didn't go in on Friday either. Friday morning, I woke up and I knew that if I didn't go in to work, the issue would appear to be my Mental Illness, and in this situation, it really isn't.

But I'm still very affected.

That is why, on Friday, I made an appointment for today with my Psychologist. I knew that this was something that, while I COULD probably deal with it on my own, I would be FAR better off seeing a professional. For a tune-up, I guess.

That got me thinking... I realize, a dangerous exercise!

Why does therapy seem so... Taboo? Why does it still seem like a last resort for so many people? And, (and I know you knew I was getting around to this!) why does it seem like people just don't SEE the connection between Mental Health and Physical Health?

When I get to my goal weight, and have maintained it for a couple of years, I would like to start... I don't know. Advocating for Mental Health in connection to weight loss. Telling people that sometimes the first step to getting physically healthy isn't changing the way you eat, or getting in more exercise, but learning coping skills and self-esteem. The physical changes can only last so long if they're set onto a shifting base.

I know that it's possible that I may sound like a broken record, and I'm okay with that. This is something I believe in strongly, and I will keep saying it.

And now, I'm off for my tune-up.

5 comments:

Nate's Mama said...

I've been through some mental health issues of my own, and I agree that there is an important connection between mental and physical health. I hate that seeing a therapist or psychiatrist is so taboo. I like to think that one day, everyone will understand the importance of good mental health. It may be a century away, but I believe it will happen eventually.

April Fire said...

I used a therapist last year when I was going through a real rough spot in my relationship with my ex. I wish I had gone to it sooner and keep it up. I only went once but that one hour changed my entire life - for the better.

Sometimes you just need to talk through things and your friends are too jaded (read:bored) to help!

H-woman said...

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Good for you for taking charge of a negative situation.

H =)

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

During my last year of university (ack... that is seven years ago already!) I found an eating disorder councilor. It was a fantastic year of learning the reasons why I eat and how to manage it. While I still struggle, the lessons I learned from that year are still with me and I refer to them a lot.

Good for you for having the courage to talk to someone. I hope it goes well!

The Incredible Shrinking Tushie said...

I so agree with you. It wasnt til I got healthier mentally til I really beleive I could actually manage to lose the extra weight I have..and as you know..I'm onna roll!!!